Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Style/Substance

Like a favorite color, I can’t really explain why I like director Spike Jonze. His films are entertaining, but I would never go so far as to rank any of them amongst my favorites. This is probably because I feel his talents are better suited to music videos. I think it’s because a music video allows for the weirder, more avant-garde ideas to play throughout the piece without pesky little things like, oh, I don't know, plot getting in the way. It’s one of those rare cases of style over substance. So it’s not surprising that when I saw “Where the Wild Things Are” a couple of months ago, I was a little let down.


In Jonze’s filmography, “Where the Wild Things Are” is probably the best (or worst, depending on how you look at it) example of the style/substance rule. Not much actually happens in the film; however, the look is breathtaking and the soundtrack is perfect…really it should have just been a music video for a Karen O solo project.

Anyway, here’s Jonze’s latest offering – a music video for LCD Soundsystem’s new single “Drunk Girls.” ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment